Tuesday, May 4, 2010

them little things

I made it back to the bakery Sunday night around 10pm. Things look like they do, after a busy weekend. Things were hectic here on Saturday, Wilmette market did well, lots of communion cakes. The Wilmette market sold out of pastries, as usual, had some bread left. Sold loads and loads of macarons, here in the store. French macarons are always best after they set in a fridge overnight and then frozen. I had made a lot, before I left, we're empty. Gonna hit it hard today.

Over the weekend, I received word that both Jennifer Park and Joe Falcinelli passed the Certified Journey Baker exam. They took it here a few weeks ago. Jennifer and Joe are both journey bakers here. The title "CJB", is the first step to becoming a CMB. After a few years more experience, they will test for the "Certified Baker" level, the second level on the way to master. The CJB level involves a study guide and written test, not really a big deal. But it is a big deal, to me the thing that it exposes is a persons' desire to improve their knowledge and ability. It tells me that the bakery where certified people are employed, is concerned about the quality of their wares and perception of their business. We flaunt it here at Bennison's, I make it known to our customers that folks here preparing our goods, are certified to the highest standards as the American baking industry dictates.

This past weekend in Minneapolis. we made some real progress in the viennoiserie category. I learned a lot myself. At this point I learn small things, endless small things. I heard Jeff Hamelman tell his class, on their first day "In the next five days I will teach one hundred big things about baking. Should you choose, you'll spend the entire rest of your life learning the little things". In Minneapolis we made brioche a tete, a very traditional French thing. Takes loads of time, so nobody really does it, in a profit seeking situation. I've had limited experience with this shape. So we tried a few different ways of creating the round ball with the smaller ball on top. Awesome, just freakin' awesome. Some of the nicest brioche a tete I've ever seen. I was so excited. We are also working on two other laminated pastries and one non laminated. Takes a long time, pick out the shape, get a mold made, balance the flavours, get it done in eight hours and schedule it in the oven around the artistic baker. For the LeSaffre Cup, the pastry guy has to do seven products. This competition stuff, is for the young.

Gotta get upstairs. got o couple of those little things to learn today, regarding chocolate macaroons. Thank God it never stops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home