Tuesday, January 5, 2010

little ol' lady made my day

Well, we installed our new server yesterday. Boxes arrived from Newegg and within a couple hours it was up and running. Sixteen computers in the bakery now. Of course, with any upgrade or addition, there is always a computer somewhere that someone needs in the middle of the night that didn't receive the proper "IP address" or the network wasn't set up properly. I got here this morning and there was an error message about "Accepting the newest change", or something. So I acted like any other night baker, and started clicking away. I got lucky, at least it seems. Our "IT guy", Matt will be here soon. He really is amazing. I'm one generation late for all this technology stuff. But, I'm learning.

We have plans to decorate the store today for our "White Sale". We are gonna do that the week of the 18th. It did well the last couple of years. The store really looks good, when we get the clotheslines up. Sorry to see the Christmas stuff come down. Christmas is when our store looks it's best.

Yesterday afternoon, Matt and I were in the office here, and a call came in on the office number and the answering machine picked up. An elderly women's voice, a little apprehensive about speaking to our machine, said "Just before Christmas, I purchased a stollen. I have to tell you, it's been years since I enjoyed stollen that much. It was very nice. Thank you. That's all", click. No name or phone number. Made my day. Made my week. My dad and I have been eating a stollen, thin slices for the last week. It's almost gone(I just sniffled). Kinda like frosty the snowman, "I'll be back again someday". Eating that stollen, I find myself staring at the crumb, how nice and light, the colour is. I eat it and I think, "We made this, How did we do this"? Excellent crumb, terrific flavour. Yeah, I know it's just stollen, but it's perfect. Oh well, next November.

Hey, time to get back to it. White sale comin' up, lots of king cakes, paczki, hell, that magical spring day will be here soon. "Pitchers and catchers report".

4 Comments:

Blogger Laminatrix said...

My four favorite words in the english language (pitchers & catchers report).

I intended to come get more stollen from you, and life intervened. Did you do any pithivier this year?

January 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Jory Downer said...

lots of pithivier. even shipped some to new jersey. we got the real deal crowns from france and all. still makin' 'em.

sorry to say, stollen is done. next year we're gonna make it thru january. had a great stollen season.

January 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm going to bite - why does a bakery need sixteen computers?

January 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jory Downer said...

well, three are used as point of sale cash registers. two laptops are used as order taking stations that we can move from phone to phone. one is used as a server for our pos and our accounting program. three computers in the basement offices, as order taking stations, two of which double as accounting program workstations. one by the backdoor that we adjust outgoing invoices as goods are sent out, also used for printing product labels and bar codes. one laptop in the basement for our recipe program,i.e. recipe book. one computer over our "scaling table", where the recipes are used. two computers involved in printing photos, and artwork, that get applied to cakes, and one laptop that goes back and forth to home with me. one laptop we keep for a spare and one is used to maintain staff schedule.

January 20, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home